The School was founded in 1987 with the donation from Dr. Tin Ka Ping and Yan Oi Tong Limited acting as the School's sponsoring body. There are approximately 750 students, with 4 classes in each form from S1 to S6. Under the leadership of the Principal, the teaching team comprises 59 teachers who possessed professional qualifications of university graduates or above. The ratio of teachers with postgraduate qualifications is one of the highest among all secondary schools in Hong Kong. Currently, around 50% of our teaching staff is holders of Master / Doctoral Degrees.
Our School Improvement Programme (SIP) was completed in mid-2005. The School’s teaching block houses 25 standard classrooms, over 10 micro-teaching rooms, 4 science laboratories and several specialized learning centres (including a Language and Culture Multi-Media Learning Centre, an English Language Multi-Media Laboratory, a Mathematics Learning Centre, two Computer Rooms and a Liberal Studies Resource Centre, etc.). Other communal facilities include a school hall, a weight-training gymnasium, a student activity centre, a school library, a medical room, a student counseling room, Parents’ Resources Centre and sports playgrounds. All classrooms, teaching rooms, school hall, library, weight-training gymnasium and the covered playground are equipped with air conditioning facilities, internet access and high speed WiFi network.
1987 - School Inception
||Dr. TIN Ka Ping
||Mr. TIN Hing Sin (BSc.)
||Ms Ng Kit Yung (B.ED., M.Ed., M.A.)
|Medium of Instruction:
||Converted to an EMI school since 2010/2011 academic year
||New Academic Structure: 4 classes for each of the forms from S1 to S6
|Secondary Four Places Allocation Rate:
|Qualification of Teaching Staff:
||The professional credentials of our teaching staff rank among the best in Hong Kong:
Possessing professional teaching qualification: 100%
Bachelor degree holders: 100%
Master degree and Doctoral degree holders: 50%
|Subjects Offered for Junior Secondary:
||Chinese Language, English Language, Mathematics, Science, Liberal Studies, Computer Literacy, Physical Education, Music, Art and Design, Design and Technology, Home Economics, Putonghua, Chinese History, Geography, Economics, and History
|Subjects Offered for New Senior Secondary Curriculum:
||HKDSE compulsory subjects: Chinese Language, English Language, Mathematics and Liberal Studies
HKDSE elective subjects (3 max.): Chinese Literature, Chinese History, Geography, Economics, History, Business, Accounting and Financial Studies, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Information and Communication Technology, Visual Arts and Mathematics Extented Part Module 1 or Module 2 (optional).
Other complementary subjects: Culture and Arts, Ethics and Personal Growth, Careers Education, Reading, etc.
1991 - Among the First Batch of Schools Participating in the School Management Initiative (SMI) of Education Department
Comments by Education Department: School Management
- The School environment is clean and green.
- Both the School Supervisor and members of the School Management Committee assume proactive roles in setting the long-term objectives for the School, monitoring the implementation of the school development plans, and reviewing progress of projects and initiatives.
- The School Motto is lucidly set out, and manifests consistently in the School's policies and ethos.
- The Principal adopts a participative style of management: reforms are advocated to enhance the quality of teaching and learning through a joint effort of the Principal, as well as senior and middle management of the School.
- School management puts high priority on the professional development of the teaching staff.
- School management effectively sets the themes for teacher development courses with due consideration of the School's current state and development needs.
- The School encourages the teaching staff to embark on professional training and provides the necessary support.
- The School actively garners the resources needed to improve the quality of the School's facilities.
- The School has adequate facilities for both teachers and students; every classroom is equipped with audio-visual equipment that effectively aids teaching and learning.
2000 - One of the Six Effective Schools Named in a Study by the Faculty of Education of The Chinese University of Hong Kong Commissioned by Education Department
Extract from CUHK's Study:
- The School advocates multi-disciplinary development, emphasizes the cultivation of students' self-learning capability and their biliteral and trilingual abilities.
- The "One Sport One Art for One Student" Program encourages students to broaden their horizons by pursuing their interests in non-academic areas.
- The School pays a lot of attention to the discipline and behaviour of students.
- The School environment is caring and supportive, fostering a close relationship among teachers and students.
- Teachers are passionate about education, demonstrating high levels of devotion and sense of responsibility.
- The open management style in place induces vibrant idea exchanges among teachers.
- The Parent-Teacher Association actively bridges the communication between the School and parents.
- The school has been actively collaborating with partners in the community. Activities have been organized in collaboration with community organizations, while some students have initiated academic activities in the community to promote academic development within the district.
- In 2008, the school received the Gold Award from the Sustainable Development School Award Programme of the Council for Sustainable Development.
- In 2009, the school received government approval for the construction and operation of a 2000 m2 Community Education Garden to promote green living as well as sustainable development in education.
S6 students visited a primary school in Wu Chuan County, Mongolia, and even taught in classes.
2001 －2003 - The Only Recipient of the Outstanding School Award (OSA) in the Support for Students and School Ethos Domain
Comments on the OSA Certificate:
Yan Oi Tong Tin Ka Ping Secondary School has been conferred the Outstanding School Award for its outstanding performance in the domain of Support for Students and School Ethos. The OSA Adjudication Panel was particularly impressed with the School’s student-focused and School-based counseling policies, which create a learning environment conducive to the broad-based development of students. The ideal and mission of the School stem from a basic belief that every student can learn effectively through active participation, experience and multi-disciplinary exposure. This belief permeates through the School's objectives, policies, plans and major decisions. The entire teaching staff share the same dream, to which they readily devote their full selves. The teaching staff also exhibit a high level of team spirit and morale, and clearly understand their role as providers of school-based teaching, care and support for all students. This mentality is especially important to those students who require particular encouragement and attention along their learning paths.
Various Research and Curriculum Development Projects have been Approved and Funded by the Quality Education Fund or Education Department :
- Assembling the Key Success Factors of Lifelong Learners – All-Round Learning through Higher-Order Thinking and Information Technology
- Liberal Studies for Junior Secondary Students – Design Plan for Integrated Skills Training Course
- School-Based Development of Quality Assurance Model
- Language Across Curriculum
- Cultivation and Development of Student Leaders
- Integrating Project Learning with Chinese Cultural Tours for S6 Students
- Teaching and Promoting Higher-Order Thinking Skills in Chinese Language Lessons
- Developing a School-Based Chinese Reading Curriculum for Junior Secondary Students
Presentation Ceremony for Outstanding School Award
2005 - Completion of School Improvement Programme (SIP) with Expansion of School Facilities
School Improvement Programme (SIP)
The school’s teaching block now houses 25 standard classrooms, more than 10 micro-teaching rooms, science laboratories and special rooms for specific subjects (including Language and Culture Multi-Media Learning Centre, English Multi-Media Learning Centre, Mathematics Room, and Liberal Studies Resource Centre, etc). Other communal facilities include a school hall, a gymnasium, a student activity centre, a school library, computer rooms, a medical room, a student counselling room, a parents’ resource centre and sports playgrounds for ball games. All classrooms, teaching rooms, the school hall, library, gymnasium and covered playground are equipped with air-conditioning facilities.
2008 - Promote Environmental Education for Sustainable Development
Science and Ecological Learning Centre :
The Governmant approved of giving us 2,000 square meter of land to our school to establishes Science and Ecological Learning Centre for environmental education and Liberal Studies.
Sustainable Development School Award Programme:
The School received a Gold Award for the Sustainable Development School Award Programme organized by the Council for Sustainable Development
2010- English as Medium of Instruction (EMI)
Fulfill the EdB criteria to using EMI:
Our school has fulfilled the prescribled criteria set by EdB and we have been using English as the MOI in all Form One 2010 since.
2011 - Recipient of the Guoxing Award and the National Base of Youth Artist Training Designation
The school’s Chinese orchestra was invited to participate in the 6th National Youngster’s Conference on Science and Art held in Beijing and won the Guoxing Award, the highest honour awarded to participants of the conference. The school was also recognized as a National Youth Artist Body and received the designation of National Base of Youth Artist Training.
2012 - Celebration of 25th Anniversary
Focus Inspection by the Education Bureau: English as a medium of instruction
The school was commended in the Focus Inspection report as effective in implementing English as a medium of instruction.
Participation in the Sustainable Development School Award Programme organized by the Council for Sustainable Development
The school received the Gold Award for 3 consecutive years and received the Devotion of Promotion of Sustainable Development Honours Award (one of the three most outstanding participating schools in Hong Kong).
2013 - Completion of External School Review by an External Professional Team and Received High Commendation for School Ethos and Student Development
External School Review (ESR) by the Education Bureau
Inspection dates：19-22 / 3 / 2013
Stock Take by the Quality School Improvement Project Organized by the Institute of Educational Research, Chinese University of Hong Kong
The Quality School Improvement Project (QSIP) team of the Institute of Educational Research, Chinese University of Hong Kong conducted a stock take for the school’s students. In the stock take report, the school was highly commended for its ethos and support for student development：
- Teacher-student relationship: Harmonious relationships are maintained between teachers and students. Students are able to share their feelings with teachers. Form teachers participate in activities organized by the class associations. Students are able to consult teachers on unclear topics in the curriculum and teachers are willing to address students’ questions.
- Student relationship: Students of different classes mingle in activities. There is benign and positive competition between classes. Students do not form mutually exclusive groups. The relationship among students is harmonious.
- Impression of the school：
- The school is student-oriented and advocates diversified development. There are ample activities for students to participate in, through which students gain learning opportunities and refine interpersonal skills.
- The school provides numerous opportunities for collaboration and exchange with external parties, through which horizons can be broadened.
- Learning activities are balanced. Students demonstrate good academic accomplishment. The school’s ethos is of simplicity and modesty.
- The school gives equal emphasis to academic pursuit and extracurricular activities. The school’s “One Sport One Art for Life” initiative enables students to broaden their horizons.。
- An emphasis is given to personal conduct and attire. Teachers have high expectations on students’ behaviour. Students are seen by external parties as modest and unassuming.
2014 - Emphasis on Collaborative Culture and Professional Development
Professional training for school leaders and middle managers
The school participated in the Professional Development Programme for School Leaders and Middle Managers and Establishment of Online Knowledge Management Platform (PDSL) organized by the Center for Education Policy and School Development.
2015 - Commended for the Effectiveness of Implementing English as Medium of Instruction
Policy of English as medium of instruction is maintained throughout the school
Students fulfilled the Education Bureau’s criteria for language ability for the school to use English as the medium of instruction.
Professional Development Schools (PDS) Scheme
The school has been invited by the Education Bureau to participate in the Professional Development Schools (PDS) scheme for 9 consecutive years since the 2007/2008 school year to promote the professional development of education in Hong Kong.
2016 - 2019 - Has been enrolled to be one of the member schools in the ‘Quality Schools in Hong Kong’ Project
The school has been successfully enrolled to be one of the five member schools in the ‘Quality Schools in Hong Kong’ Project of the Hong Kong Institute of Education Research at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.